[FreeVMS] Build system questions

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Tue Mar 17 08:06:50 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 12:25:53AM +0100, Guido wrote:

> >System headers for both the executive/kernel and user software? VMS
> >itself had things structured that way, between librtl(?)/starlet
> >(sys$starlet_c.tlb) and lib (sys$lib_c.tlb). (Had to google to find
> >those tlbs.)
>
> I did not mean librtl and starlet, those are user level C libraries.
> What is currently in the sys and lib subdirs could be sys$lib_c indeed.
> According to HoffmanLabs sys$lib_c contains system-specific (private)
> definitions that are undocumented and subject to change. One should not

Very few headers belong in sys, that is the place for the main kernel.
The lib headers are found here:
http://starlet.deltatel.ru/sys$common/syslib/SYS$LIB_C.TLB

> need it for user land applications, that is what librtl and starlet are
> for. sys$lib_c can be used for device driver development. What is called
> libc on linux/unix resides somewhere in decc$... (or vaxc$... on really
> old systems?).

But a lot of special/privileged images use the lib headers.
Also a lot of third party software.
So the usage of the most relevant ones are known/well documented.

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæs