[FreeVMS] Build system questions

Guido guidoj2269 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 00:25:53 CET 2015

On 03/16/2015 10:23 PM, Roar Thronæs wrote:
> My patched grub has ODS-2 support, as you know.

Of course, do not mind my earlier comment on grub.

> Both variants come from an earlier (Free)VMS project

Obviously. On VMS the date/time is represented by a QUADWORD, probably
best to use something like that here too.

> System headers for both the executive/kernel and user software? VMS
> itself had things structured that way, between librtl(?)/starlet
> (sys$starlet_c.tlb) and lib (sys$lib_c.tlb). (Had to google to find
> those tlbs.)

I did not mean librtl and starlet, those are user level C libraries.
What is currently in the sys and lib subdirs could be sys$lib_c indeed.
According to HoffmanLabs sys$lib_c contains system-specific (private)
definitions that are undocumented and subject to change. One should not
need it for user land applications, that is what librtl and starlet are
for. sys$lib_c can be used for device driver development. What is called
libc on linux/unix resides somewhere in decc$... (or vaxc$... on really
old systems?).

Regards,
Guido