[FreeVMS] Build system questions

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Mon Mar 16 22:23:58 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 09:32:04PM +0100, Guido wrote:

> Ultimately we can use the grub that is installed on the host, but agreed
> that it is low prio.

My patched grub has ODS-2 support, as you know.

> Some more questions:
>
> - I found both struct TIME and VMSTIME, they both represent the 8 byte
> VMS date/time. VMSTIME is redefined in quite a lot of c-files! Can we
> agree on using just one of these and get rid of the other?

Both variants come from an earlier (Free)VMS project.

> - I also noted that some functions are declared and defined in entirely
> different parts of the source tree. For instance, exe$bintim is declared
> in lib/src/exe_routines.h but defined in sys/src/syscvrtim.c. What is
> the rationale behind splitting up lib and sys? Or better, can they be
> merged together (preferably somewhere inside linux/kernel)?

System headers for both the executive/kernel and user software?
VMS itself had things structured that way, between
librtl(?)/starlet (sys$starlet_c.tlb) and
lib (sys$lib_c.tlb). (Had to google to find those tlbs.)

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæs