[FreeVMS] Build system questions

Guido guidoj2269 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 21:32:04 CET 2015

On 03/14/2015 07:36 AM, Roar Thronæs wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 09:39:37PM +0100, Guido wrote:
> With an old Debian not supported anymore, built grub (which won't
> build on recent Debian) and diskimage/createimage. Did choose not to
> prioritize grub because I had a working floppy image. I have now
> updated the HOWTO text slightly.

Ultimately we can use the grub that is installed on the host, but agreed
that it is low prio.

> With @ [vms$common.systest]test1.com etc. Remember the space after @.
> (And can only run one script after a boot, that is classified as a
> minor bug, currently.)

OK, got it, forgot the space after @.

Some more questions:

- I found both struct TIME and VMSTIME, they both represent the 8 byte
VMS date/time. VMSTIME is redefined in quite a lot of c-files! Can we
agree on using just one of these and get rid of the other?

- I also noted that some functions are declared and defined in entirely
different parts of the source tree. For instance, exe$bintim is declared
in lib/src/exe_routines.h but defined in sys/src/syscvrtim.c. What is
the rationale behind splitting up lib and sys? Or better, can they be
merged together (preferably somewhere inside linux/kernel)?

BTW in case you had not noticed, I believe that there needs to be done
some janitorial work before I can contribute anything else.

Regards,
Guido