[FreeVMS] New release 0.3.17

Guido guidoj2269 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:33:43 CET 2015

On 03/12/2015 11:10 PM, Roar Thronæs wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 12:26:08PM +0100, Guido wrote:
>> - In general, lack of a coding standard (and not enforced)
>> - Little documentation
> Yes and no.
> The VMS Internals books, VMS File System Internals, VAX CPU manual,
> very old source listings etc are freely available on the net.
> We'll "only" need to connect/link those parts, and write what is
> currently different, and about specific x86 support.

Yes, I'm sorry, I meant documentation about the build system, source
tree layout, etc. I have some questions, but I'll post those in a
different thread.

Because the current code is copied from different places on the net,
different coding standards are currently in effect. This really hurts
readability and maintainability. I would suggest to agree on a single
coding standard and apply it to all of the code, using maybe indent or
some similar tool to get the formatting straight, fix all compiler
warnings and maybe in the future even introduce a static code analysis
tool like splint or the one used on the linux kernel (can't remember the
name).

>> I'm willing to put some effort into this, although my time will be
>> limited to a few hours a week. Please let me know if I can help.
> Yes, thank you, we'll need as much help as we can get.

I think a good way to get more people to jump on would be to make it
easier to find one's way around the already quite large code base.
Essentailly the suggestions I made above are intended as steps in that
direction.

Guido