[FreeVMS] Build system questions

Guido guidoj2269 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:01:55 CET 2015

Hi,

I have some questions about the current FreeVMS code base/build system:

- What is the reason that a symbolic linked copy of the entire source
tree is created?
At first I thought that maybe this had to do with cross compilation, but
the tree is create based on the host build machine hardware (uname -m).
It seems unnecessary.

- What are the really old Debian packages need for?
I also noticed that these packages only seem to be required for x86_64
and not for i386.

- Could the source tree easily be resructured?
The source tree contains the kernel, libraries and system
tools/application that are all put into the main freevms directory. I
would like to create seperate directories, say "vmskernel", "vmslibs"
and "vmsapps" for instance, and put each in the appropriate subdir. Note
that I'd like to immediatly get the dependencies right, so "vmsapps"
depends on "vmslibs" and "vmslibs" depend on "vmskernel" but no more.
Probably some "common" stuff must be split off too to make that
possible. Any suggestions on how to do this easily?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Guido