[FreeVMS] New release 0.3.17

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Thu Mar 12 23:10:10 CET 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 12:26:08PM +0100, Guido wrote:

> I digged around in the code a bit and I found some room for improvement
> which might also fix build problems, portabilty issues, instability
> and/or improve maintainability.
>
> Most notable:
> - Circular dependencies
> - Inconsistent use of fundamental types (preferably avoid fundamental
> types altogether)

Yes, that is partially due to the code being a merge of very different sources.

> - In general, lack of a coding standard (and not enforced)
> - Little documentation

Yes and no.
The VMS Internals books, VMS File System Internals, VAX CPU manual,
very old source listings etc are freely available on the net.
We'll "only" need to connect/link those parts, and write what is
currently different, and about specific x86 support.

> I'm willing to put some effort into this, although my time will be
> limited to a few hours a week. Please let me know if I can help.

Yes, thank you, we'll need as much help as we can get.

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæs