[FreeVMS] Question

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson johann at myrkraverk.com
Sun Jun 23 23:23:58 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Renee <rmctwo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Posix? Why write posix at all?
> Renee

Posix is an important part of any server environment today; at least
the C RTL parts of it.  It's better to think about it from the start
rather than try to wedge it on the system after the fact.

True.

>         If you want to start to write some userland code (not kernel,
> executive or system ones), in a first time you have to implemant
> sources/userland/rtl and sources/userland/starlet to obtain a VMS API or to
> port newlib on FreeVMS to obtain a real POSIX layer. But to write
> STARLET/LIB$ or port newlib, we have to define some SYSCALLs. Today, only
> SYSCALL$PRINT, SYSCALL$EXIT_VALUE and SYSCALL$KILL_THREAD have been written
> (sys/sys_loop.c).

What exactly is newlib?

It's not my call, but I would build the kernel to provide both VMS and
Posix system calls, similar what's been done in Haiku where they
implement both BeOS and a subset of Posix system calls.

Is there a tutorial on how to build and run FreeVMS?  Something that
demonstrates how to go from pure source code to running it in a
(virtual) machine?

--
Johann

 I'm not from the internet, I just work there.