[FreeVMS] Question

Renee rmctwo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 20:33:38 CEST 2013

Posix? Why write posix at all?
Renee

-----Original Message-----
From: FreeVMS [mailto:freevms-bounces at rayleigh.systella.fr] On Behalf Of
BERTRAND Joël
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:30 AM
To: FreeVMS mailing list
Subject: Re: [FreeVMS] Question

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson a écrit :
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Renee<rmctwo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> And the embarrassing thing is that I may have asked it before.
>> Obviously we are not building a VAX. We can make this thing “source
>> compatible” to be recompiled. And I don’t think a privileged or even a
CMKRNL task would work.
>> With that in mind, I’ll ask again
.what are we building? Certainly
>> some form of DCL can and must be built.
>
> And that task is quite independent of the kernel.  DCL is a shell and
> can be written in C on top of Posix interfaces.  I'm not advocating
> that, only pointing out it's an option.

	DCL will be written when we'll have a running kernel. There are a
lot of stuff to do before starting DCL.

	If you want to start to write some userland code (not kernel,
executive or system ones), in a first time you have to implemant
sources/userland/rtl and sources/userland/starlet to obtain a VMS API or to
port newlib on FreeVMS to obtain a real POSIX layer. But to write
STARLET/LIB$ or port newlib, we have to define some SYSCALLs. Today, only
SYSCALL$PRINT, SYSCALL$EXIT_VALUE and SYSCALL$KILL_THREAD have been written
(sys/sys_loop.c).

	Regards,

	JKB