[FreeVMS] Question

BERTRAND Joël joel.bertrand at systella.fr
Sun Jun 23 12:29:47 CEST 2013

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson a écrit :
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Renee<rmctwo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> And the embarrassing thing is that I may have asked it before. Obviously we
>> are not building a VAX. We can make this thing “source compatible” to be
>> recompiled. And I don’t think a privileged or even a CMKRNL task would work.
>> With that in mind, I’ll ask again….what are we building? Certainly some form
>> of DCL can and must be built.
>
> And that task is quite independent of the kernel.  DCL is a shell and
> can be written in C on top of Posix interfaces.  I'm not advocating
> that, only pointing out it's an option.

	DCL will be written when we'll have a running kernel. There are a lot
of stuff to do before starting DCL.

	If you want to start to write some userland code (not kernel, executive
or system ones), in a first time you have to implemant
sources/userland/rtl and sources/userland/starlet to obtain a VMS API or
to port newlib on FreeVMS to obtain a real POSIX layer. But to write
STARLET/LIB$ or port newlib, we have to define some SYSCALLs. Today,
only SYSCALL$PRINT, SYSCALL$EXIT_VALUE and SYSCALL$KILL_THREAD have been
written (sys/sys_loop.c).

	Regards,

	JKB