[FreeVMS] New release 0.2.9

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Sam 6 Mai 08:48:25 CEST 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 09:41:16PM +0000, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote:
> Roar Thronæs <roart at nvg.ntnu.no> writes:
>
> However, being *completely* new to freevms, as well as a VMS n00b,
> I've no real idea what to do with this.

Maybe you should try to learn ordinary VMS a bit more, first?
(So you know what to expect.)
What you should do afterwards depends on what you want to do, like
use or develop.

> Is there good information somewhere on what happens when I try to
> build/install it?  I'm a bit reluctant to try something that might
> screw up my current linux installation (my desktop).

On your desktop you should only use an emulator and disk images.
You should not boot your desktop with a FreeVMS kernel.
Use only on computers where you can stand to loose your file system.
(As you might risk now if you try to use Ext2 write support.)

> > Disk images are named a.img.gz and c.img.gz.
>
> I presume these disk images are for bochs, but since I don't have it

Or use qemu.

> installed at the moment, I'm not giving them a try yet.  Also, the
> didn't seem to be as recent as the source code mentioned above.

They are, but the date does not change by loopback mounting and gzip.
(The USE fil is old, though, but I will fix it now.)

> P.S. is #freevms on ircnet dead?

Or got little activity.
I just joined after the power outage one month ago.

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæs