[FreeVMS] New release 0.2.9

BERTRAND Joël joel.bertrand at systella.fr
Sam 6 Mai 10:03:43 CEST 2006

Roar Thronæs a écrit :
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 09:41:16PM +0000, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote:
>
>>Roar Thronæs <roart at nvg.ntnu.no> writes:
>>
>>However, being *completely* new to freevms, as well as a VMS n00b,
>>I've no real idea what to do with this.
>

> Maybe you should try to learn ordinary VMS a bit more, first?
> (So you know what to expect.)

	Is there any VMS station accessible by SSH ?

> What you should do afterwards depends on what you want to do, like
> use or develop.

	I have a lot of trouble with SCSI subsystem and keyboard map ;-)
A simple question : if you have to write a subsystem to use a keymap
that is not the regular english keyboard, do you write this subsystem as
a module (userland) or directly in kernel ?

>>Is there good information somewhere on what happens when I try to
>>build/install it?  I'm a bit reluctant to try something that might
>>screw up my current linux installation (my desktop).
>

> On your desktop you should only use an emulator and disk images.
> You should not boot your desktop with a FreeVMS kernel.
> Use only on computers where you can stand to loose your file system.
> (As you might risk now if you try to use Ext2 write support.)

	Bochs only works fine on i386 (and maybe x86/64) but hangs on all
others architectures I have tried (sparc64 and ppc). Maybe a bug inside
;-) But qemu works fine and is faster.

	Regards,

	JKB