[RPL/2] RPL/2 build woes Config.log(s) attached

BERTRAND Joël joel.bertrand at systella.fr
Tue Apr 14 23:28:16 CEST 2015

BERTRAND Joël a écrit :
> Mark H. Harris a écrit :
>> Merci Beaucoup,
>
>      You're welcome.
>
>> I have attached the config.log files in a small tar.gz file containing
>> the top-level config.log and the tools/ncurses-5.9 config.log.
>>
>> I apologize, I did not know that there was more than ONE config.log
>> file.  It appears that the linker cannot find ieee library (-lieee);
>>   not why such a simple open main C program confdefs would fail?
>
>      I cannot check this evening, I will open your tarball tomorrow
> morning (CEST). But I'm pretty sure that there is no libieee anywhere...
> Configure script checks for IEEE compiler options and sets appropriate
> option in CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and FFLAGS.
>
>      I have seen your message in HPmuseum forum. X11 is not required,
> but without X11, you cannot use gnuplot nor lib$motif. TeX is not
> required also, but is you want to use Postscript output, you have to
> install a minimal LaTeX system.

	I have some questions. Quark is a i486 with i487 FPU and emulated i586
instructions. Your compiler announce :
Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu

	You should have i586-pc-linux-gnu (or maybe i486-pc-linux-gnu) if your
compiler is a native compiler. I don't know the differences between i487
FPU and modern FPU, but I can build RPL/2 on my old K6-III that is a
i586 class CPU with extensions (not i686). I'm not sure that i487 knows
IEEE floating point operations without external library. In this case,
gcc tries to produce a code that requires external libieee.a.

	On my system (quad xeon 64 bits), I have :

rayleigh:[/usr/libx32] > dpkg -S libieee
libc6-dev-i386: /usr/lib32/libieee.a
libc6-dev-x32: /usr/libx32/libieee.a
libc6-dev:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libieee.a
but these libraries only contains _LIB_VERSION symbol.

	Can you check if you have one of these libraries ? Please try to build
a test program with gcc -g -O3 -malign-double -mieee-fp -Wall -Wextra
and post result here.

	Regards,

	JKB