[RPL/2] compile error

BERTRAND Joel joel.bertrand at systella.fr
Mer 19 Mai 14:49:59 CEST 2010

DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre a écrit :
> On 19/05/10 09:47, BERTRAND Joel wrote:
>> DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre a écrit :
>>> During compile, in some cases (compile via a gentoo ebuild), I get the
>>> following problem. If I compile in a normal environment it works fine.
>>> Any idea ?
>>
>>      No, I don't have, but you have to know that OpenSSL Makefiles break
>> parallel build. For new release that should be available as soon as
>> possible, I shall force -j1 to build OpenSSL.
>
> Please make this detection version specific. I have a quad core, and
> parallel build really improoves compile time:
> 5'20" with -j6
> 11'50" with -j1

	I cannot as OpenSSL makefiles are broken. I have made a bug report to
openssl devs but today, I don't have any solution. In the next release,
even you try to build RPL/2 with -j32 (I use -j32 on my 32-CPU sparc's,
thus I have seen this bug for a long time), OpenSSL makefile shall
called with -j1. It's only a workaround, but you shall be able to build
all other tools with -jx, x > 1.

> And with time, CPU will never see frequency increase; since ~2005 only
> the number of cores will increase: we need to come back to parallel
> computing (like on the VERY old times).

	And ? I have written this language to be efficient in particular in
parallel computations. See SPAWN (multithreading) and DETACH (multitasking).

>> I don't know options given
>> by ebuild, but you should force -j1 if it is possible.
>
> My problem :)
>
> Fixed, working, thanks :)

	JKB