[RPL/2] make- and compile-error (was: Re: Downloading actual version)

Felix Becker linux.felixbecker2 at gmx.de
Dim 18 Nov 03:09:14 CET 2007

Am Sonntag, den 18.11.2007, 01:41 +0000 schrieb Felix Becker:

> > > 	Fixed in
> > >
> > > http://www.systella.fr/~bertrand/rpl2/download/rpl-4.0.0.prerelease.2.tar.bz2
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > But, sth. strange now. A simple "LANG=C ./configure" (and also without
> > LANG=C) produces this now:
> >

> > === configuring in tools/units-1.86
> > (/home/felics/download/RPL2/rpl-4.0.0.prerelease.2/tools/units-1.86)
> >   configure: running /bin/sh ./configure '--prefix=/usr/local'
> >   --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
> > checking for cl... cl
> > checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> >   compiler cannot create executables
> > See `config.log' for more details.
> > configure: error: ./configure failed for tools/units-1.86
> >

> > Attached the config.log and tools/units-1.86/config.log.
>
> I suspect the problem is that I have a programme called "cl" installed,
> but it is not a C-compiler but it will start some common lisp. Hm, you
> probably should check for this, too (i.e. if cl is a C-compiler or not).
> With removing all cl-stuff from confugure.ac and configure in
> tools/units-1.86/ it configures.
>

> But I get still the same error from make all:
>
> "
> make[2]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Target »rpl.xpm«,
>   benötigt von »all«, zu erstellen.  Schluss.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/felics/download/RPL2/rpl-4.0.0.prerelease.2/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/felics/download/RPL2/rpl-4.0.0.prerelease.2'
> make: *** [all] Fehler 2
> "
>
> It seems like there is a make-target "rpl.xpm" referenced but not
> defined. Unfortunately I am not familiar with make.

Actually the file rpl.xpm was missing (at least after the configure). It
helped copying it from the 4.00pre8. And I now know why it has gone: A
make clean does remove it!

Btw.: What is the advantage of building the gnuplot shipped with rpl2?
Is it better / robuster instead of not bulding it in but having an
external gnuplot just installed? (I am asking because according
to ./configure --help it is standard to build the embedded gnuplot).

Ciao,
Felix.

PS: Btw.: There is already a debian-package with a programme called
"rpl" (it is an "intelligent recursive search/replace utility").