[RPL/2] Error in half-compilation

DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre benoit at demaine.info
Mar 19 Juin 15:47:41 CEST 2007

> 	Hardcoded pathes come with pre8v.

Also have the same problem ...

> On which mirror have you find a pre8w
> release ? This release (you can download it on official web site with
> .../download/rpl-4.00pre8w.tar.bz2) is not the final one and I have some
> code to fix. The patch I have sent is not a patch between 8v and 8w, but
> a patch between offical pre8v and _my_ tree (that shall be pre8w) to fix
> a major bug (in STATIC intrinsic).

In fact, I had first the prolem with V, then, I thought the next one
could fix it. Since I dont know how to make a Gentoo ebuild use patches,
and did not to know, I just incremented the letter of DL link, and it
worked :) V became W (sounds pretty logic), download was successfull,
and compile leaded to the same problem.

I just assumed you wanted users not re DL the full file (save server BW
? avoid user re-DL when a patch may suffice ? your motives are not my
concerne). W was there, I took it. It was not mentioned in the main
page, but you are some times 1 ou 2 days late to update HTML pages ...

>> will be the execution dir, what is false ... what is ALWAYS false on Gentoo.
>
> 	Yes, and ?

and there is a bug that should be corrected for users convinience :)

> At this time, I don't have choice because ...

Happens. Then, I will wait for a fix :) Other authors had to tweak their
./configure to allow Gentoo compliance (otherwise, Gentoo devs have to
write heavy paches; if author can do it upstream, it's easier for every
one).

>> Can you confirm ?
>
> 	Yes, for me, installation path is execution path.

Good point my guess was right.

> I know that this
> assumption is not the better assumption I have made,

Works for most distros ... and if nobody else complained before for long
time, means you made a reasonable assumption :)

> but I don't know
> how I can send arguments to configure scripts in tools/gnuplot directory
> (for example). If you have an idea, your problem can be quickly solved.

Fact is ... the aim of your --prefix is not to pass install dir, but run
dir ! Thus, your section should not be called "Installation
directories:" but "runtime dirs". In our case, --prefix should contain
the runtime dir, that is / on both Gentoo, and my A/B example.

The real tweak should be the installation stage, that should support the
new argument ... that would be /var/tmp... on Gentoo, and /mnt/A in my
example.

I think the concept of --prefix is fine; what should be changed is the
"target dir install" ... to support somehow the concept of cross-install.

Note that to me, this feature should NOT be an additionnal prefix to be
added before --prefix, but a new independant one. In first thought, ana
dditionnal pre-prefix looks fine, but, I am pretty sure there are cases
where it would lead to other problems. You may start by doing this
simple solution, but, I expect it could still lead to problems in a few
years. Still, it would suffice for me/Gentoo.

This prefix should be used EXCLUSIVELY at "make install" stage. If
auto-tools make proper use of "mkdir -p", it will be no problem.

It should be simple.

--
  >o_/ DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre (aka DoubleHP) http://benoit.demaine.info/
If computing were an exact science, IT engineers would not have work \_o<

"So all that's left, Is the proof that love's not only blind but deaf."
(FAKE TALES OF SAN FRANCISCO, Arctic Monkeys)