[FreeVMS] More questions

Guido guidoj2269 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 20:31:55 CET 2015

On 03/25/2015 02:52 PM, Roar Thronæs wrote:
>> - A few source files and several headers within the Linux kernel source
>> tree are not actually used. Would it be OK to remove them?
> Possibly.
> Which ones are you thinking of?

Here are some examples:

Some can be deleted without any compile errors:
     linux/fs/jbd/* (no journaling fs support any time soon)
     linux/kernel/sched.c (seems to be moved to sys/src)

Other require removal of unnecessary Makefile dependencies:
     linux/partitions/ibm.c (partition layout used on storage devices
for IBM mainframes)
     linux/kernel/pm.c (power management mainly for laptops)

Headers that are included, but are really not needed:
     linux/include/linux/joystick.h (joystick)
     linux/include/linux/qic117.h (tape device from the 90's)
     linux/include/linux/ultrasound.h (gravis ultrasound soundcard)

There are many more. Some might be useful to keep although not used at
present, like things for SMP.

>> - The Linux kernel configuration system is still used, albeit only half. Is
>> there any reason to keep this in place?
> Make config is not supposed to be used.
> Everything needed is now set and not supposed to be changed.
> Have just not given priority to removing that part of make.

OK, could be cleaned up but low prio.

>> - Would cross compiling be a solution to the gs problem? And if so, did you
>> try it? I am aware that a libc port is required, but smaller ones than
>> glibc are available these days and one of them might suffice for now.
> Cross compile from what to what, with which libraries?
> No, never tried cross compiling, nor other libcs.
> Another libc with just introduce other untested problems, and other
> conventions with errno/gs.

I'm not sure it causes any problems right now, but using the default
compiler could introduce difficult to pinpoint issues. Some useful info
can be found here: http://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page

Regards,
Guido