[FreeVMS] Debian 8 build broken

Guido guidoj2269 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 21:09:46 CEST 2015

On 07/15/2015 10:43 PM, Guido wrote:
> On 07/14/2015 06:40 PM, Roar Thronæs wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:22:33AM +0200, Guido wrote:
>>> Sorry for being unclear. Compiling and linking is not the problem, it
>>> crashes when run. The kernel itself seems to work fine, but running any
>>> applications like the CLI make the kernel go oops ...
>> I just did a fresh, clean build (from the latest in git, from June 7),
>> and I did not notice anything.
> OK, x86_64 works for me too, i386 still crashes (Debian 8 build, did
> not try Debian 7 yet). I have another update waiting, but I would
> prefer to get my i386 build working again first.

Update:
My 32 bit FreeVMS still crashes, but I do have some info on what is
going wrong. The most simple test that will reproduce a crash is to call
sys$assign() with a device name that contains at least one capital.
Internally the device name will be converted to lower case and trying to
write the device name descriptor causes a page fault. The sys$assign()
system service works as expected when called with the device name
entirely in lower case.

I am afraid that this bug is more generic and that similar crashes
happen besides this sys$assign() example. I will create an issue in
bugzilla.

Note that this only occurs in the 32 bit version, both Debian 7 and
Debian 8 builds, the 64 bit version runs just fine.

Regards,
Guido