[FreeVMS] Problems running FreeVMS

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Fri Dec 4 19:19:22 CET 2015

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 12:08:25PM +0100, Zoltan Arpadffy wrote:
> I tried to use FreeVMS earlier but it failed with the pager.sys.
> I see that this bug is fixed in 2013 and I gave a new try.
>
> Downloaded the git repository. Configured the kernel and built all without
> any problem.
>
> The make image failed because it expected files from a different
> directories.
>
> I wonder what I am doing wrong?
>
> I am very curios to see FreeVMS in action. If anybody has a working image
> to share it would be also highly appreciated.

I am sorry, but the freevms.net page is referring to another type of
FreeVMS development that never had an operational system and is no longer
in development, as far as I know.

But there is a working FreeVMS with source at
https://github.com/rroart/freevms.

The current development is for getting Debian 8 support, in the guido branch.
(Many thanks to Guido for continuing the work.)

I am pasting from the newest working release:

There is a new release 0.3.17.

Disk images are available from:

http://www.pvv.org/~roart/a.img.gz (Boot floppy)
http://www.pvv.org/~roart/c.img.gz (Disk image, 64-bit)
http://www.pvv.org/~roart/c.img.32.gz (Disk image, 32-bit)

Typically run with
qemu-system-x86_64 -fda a.img -hda c.img -boot a -monitor stdio -net none

For more about usage, see
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rroart/freevms/master/USE

and which user features are tested in
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rroart/freevms/master/TESTING

News for 0.3.17:
Support for ODS-2 boot partition and use has been reenabled.
Support for CMUIP (TCP/IP) has been reenabled.
Critical/major bugfixes.
Cleanup of dead/unused source code.

See https://github.com/rroart/freevms for current source.

More info on http://www.pvv.org/~roart/freevms.html

--
-Roar

(The first attempt at mailing did not get through, so am retrying.)