[FreeVMS] Question about FreeVMS qemu image

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Thu Sep 26 14:49:02 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 04:26:04PM +0200, BERTRAND Joël wrote:
> Renee wrote:
> >I am in the process of moving. I am a former VMS developer. I wrote to ask
> >what languages you are using. If it's C, VMS developers HATED C.
> >I would like to help/join the effort but I would recommend Bliss.
>
> 	I think that we have to build a kernel (or a set of servers in L4
> paradigm) that is portable. I'm not sure that bliss is good enough to
> reach this goal. I'm not sure there is somewhere a open sourced bliss
> compiler that is stable and usable. And I'm not sure that there are
> bliss developers enough to start this project with bliss.

First, I state that I do not know L4, so I can't judge it.
(And don't have the time for it.)

But how easy/difficult will it be to rewrite/extend to our purposes?

How about CPU specific features given in VAX/AXP architecture reference
manual, how is it possible to implement those?
(For my 0.3, I had modified the kernel's interrupt entry point a bit.)
For instance, how will AST, IPL etc be handled with L4?

How to fit in the QIO and VMS device driver system with L4?

And the other hardware/system-specific issues?

--
-Roar Thronæs