[FreeVMS] Using the Bochs images?

BERTRAND Joel joel.bertrand at systella.fr
Thu Nov 25 14:25:58 CET 2010

Roar Thronæs a écrit :
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 04:42:30PM +0100, BERTRAND Joel wrote:
>>
>> 	Don't forget that these images are very old and not up to date. I'm
>> currently working on FreeVMS 0.4.0
>> (http://www.freevms.net/trac/browser/) because actual monolithic kernel
>> is not easy maintainable. New system reuse all stuff made by Roar and
>> all but is written on top of a microkernel. Today, only boot process,
>> virtual memory and some parts of init process are done. I shall do a new
>> set of images when new kernel shall be able to launch init and load
>> drivers from memory to access to disk.
>
> Hi
>
> It is really nice that you found the time to continue with it.
> Still a pity that only one is working on it.
 >
> By the way, the last things I did after the last release (0.3.15),
> was trying to add support for VirtualBox (and a new network interface
> driver for that), but it stagnated before completion.
> Maybe you could check out the current sources from CVS and see if it
> can be used sometime.

	Hello,

	Of course, I will reuse a lot of code from 0.3.15. Today, I'm only
working on virtual memory on top of L4 and I need some help. Kernel
initialization is done and kernel tries to start init.exe (to load
drivers from memory). Kernel starts init.exe in physical memory but not
in virtual one.

	I think that FreeVMS over L4 shall be better than actual kernel for
some reasons:
	1/ maintenability;
	2/ portability;
	3/ drivers, init and some other system parts in different address spaces.

	Roadmap is very simple : I need a pager that handles virtual memory. I
have written a pager that returns physical memory but it is not enough
to a multitask/multiuser operating system.

	I have checked that this mail shall be sent to more than 500 readers
and I hope that some readers have some time to give help.

	Best regards,

	JKB