[FreeVMS] Status update

BERTRAND Joel joel.bertrand at systella.fr
Thu Apr 9 22:34:41 CEST 2009

Graham Toal wrote:
>>        You're welcome. I think the first task shall be a runable kernel with
>> a minimal userland.
>
> has anyone considered something like the colinux kernel which allows
> linux to be run in parallel with windows, or another linux inside a
> primary linux.  The target OS doesn't have to be linux, you could use
> the kernel solely to virtualise device drivers and still build a VMS
> scheduler, VM system etc on top of it?  (colinux is like user-mode
> linux, but may be a better fit for hosting a non-unix OS..?)
>
> If we don't use some abstraction layer for hardware, we'll have a
> mammoth task ahead of us writing device drivers for all the possible
> hardware out there...

	We have tried to use a usermode linux kernel, but this kernel wasn't
supported enough. I think that the better choice is a virtual machine
like qemu that only require one device for network and another one for
IDE adapter. If we can obtain a stable kernel in this VM, it shall be
time to write some other drivers.

	Regards,

	JKB