[FreeVMS] Status update

Graham Toal gtoal at gtoal.com
Thu Apr 9 20:52:58 CEST 2009

>        You're welcome. I think the first task shall be a runable kernel with
> a minimal userland.

has anyone considered something like the colinux kernel which allows
linux to be run in parallel with windows, or another linux inside a
primary linux.  The target OS doesn't have to be linux, you could use
the kernel solely to virtualise device drivers and still build a VMS
scheduler, VM system etc on top of it?  (colinux is like user-mode
linux, but may be a better fit for hosting a non-unix OS..?)

If we don't use some abstraction layer for hardware, we'll have a
mammoth task ahead of us writing device drivers for all the possible
hardware out there...

Graham