[FreeVMS] Status update

Alexander von Knorring leputa6 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 9 16:01:21 CEST 2009

Hello again!

==About the Desktop for FreeVMS==

> > After all of this has been done (I give it a year or two of
> > developmental time given two or three more part-time voluenteers), we'll
> > have a fully-featured VMS clone. The only thing not really mentioned in
> > the wishlist is a CDE clone, but that's not as crucial to the project as
> > just getting a fully featured kernel and userspace.
>
> 	Why not DecWindows ? (I'm already outside ;-) )

I have also been desperately looking for a CDE clone
(Common Desktop Evironment also known as DECW or HP-Desktop)
so I can get the OpenVMS look and feel on any system.

Some time ago I started to code on a CDE clone, for now the file
manager (dtfile) is somewhat functional. (But not near complete).
It's based on OpenMotif, so when X11/DECW and Xt is working
on FreeVMS, at least teoretically OpenMotif can be compiled.

Anyway I'm partially experienced with VMS, I programmed a moth or
so with it on my mothers work in the 90:s (OpenVMS running Oracle).
Since then I have been using Unixes and Linux, but recently I got an
Alpha PWS and installed OpenVMS with hobbyist licenses.

== NOTE ==
I'm very interested in becomeing a developer for FreeVMS.
Are there any specific tasks that you need help with right now?
==

/Alex