[FreeVMS] gcc and VMS calling standard

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Mar 29 Avr 15:07:34 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:17:08AM +0200, Henrik Holst wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 09:11:29AM +0200, Roar Thron?s wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 11:24:30AM +0200, bojan at alba.si wrote:
> >
> > Mainly etch default gcc, 4.1.1/2.
> > (Sarge and gcc 3.3.5 may also be used, but sarge is old and etch current,
>
> You might want to wait before you change. The forthcoming release
> of "Lenny" as stable will be due soon. In september according to

Any September :) (A little Debian joke)
I do not know how much time will be spent with the compiler frontend
and backend, it might not be finished until September for what I know.

> I have also a unrelated question (to OPs question), is "most of" the
> toolchain for freevms developed in BLISS or C? I suppose one of the

Only the very old (32-bit) CMUIP Telnet client is in Bliss,
and I do not think I will spend time developing that client.
But it was very very useful having a real VMS program compiled to make
sure I had to write some common libraries and system services,
and in finding and removing existing faults in FreeVMS itself.
I did consider compiling the most recent source of MX, but did
not get around to it.

> If there are "small tools" to be ported, maybe you can put that on the
> web page, get people involved without us having to go into the blood and

I consider GCC backend pretty heavy, too.

Not sure.
You just have to find a spot and do something with it.

> guts of the kernel development (yet). I would think BLISS programming is
> something many would find interesting.

I hope Bliss would have enough features and few surprises,
since digging into Bliss source would not be easy.

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæs