[FreeVMS] gcc and VMS calling standard

Henrik Holst holst at matmech.com
Mar 29 Avr 11:17:08 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 09:11:29AM +0200, Roar Thron�s wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 11:24:30AM +0200, bojan at alba.si wrote:
[snip]
> > - Which version of gcc is used to compile FreeVMS?
>
> Mainly etch default gcc, 4.1.1/2.
> (Sarge and gcc 3.3.5 may also be used, but sarge is old and etch current,
> and sarge support may be dropped soon.)
> For 32-bit telnet client Bliss frontend for pure gcc 4.2.1.

You might want to wait before you change. The forthcoming release
of "Lenny" as stable will be due soon. In september according to
Wikipedia's sources,
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/02/msg00002.html>

I have also a unrelated question (to OPs question), is "most of" the
toolchain for freevms developed in BLISS or C? I suppose one of the
features of the VMS platform is the calling standard, and that you don't
actually need to bother with such things. :-)

If there are "small tools" to be ported, maybe you can put that on the
web page, get people involved without us having to go into the blood and
guts of the kernel development (yet). I would think BLISS programming is
something many would find interesting.

Thank you for your work with FreeVMS!

Oh, final thing, while I have the word. Is it possible to make English
default in the mailing archives?