[FreeVMS] [Fwd: Andrews Update]

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Lun 22 Aou 10:15:57 CEST 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:39:58AM -0400, Andrew Allison wrote:

> I guess I'll keep plugging ahead with RTL routines, alphabetically staying
> away from kernel code routines, Unless you want me poking around in there.

It can be avoided for some time, but can not be avoided in the longer run.

> I may be off base here:
>
> I will start looking into writting an installer program to partition,
> format and download to install FreeVMS. I havn't crawled out of librtl in a
> while to see what's new and improved. I think I'm going to regret this
> paragraph. Seem's like a logical set forward although.

Is not this what make image, make image-install and make image-kernel-iomm
is doing already?

We lack direct installation to VFS ODS-2, but it is not trivial to compile
and install a module into whatever kernel is running.
It must be done manually.

It could be done by a DCL script, but I have not tested whether scripting
works in that mode.

Besides, it is too early to use pure (RMS) ODS-2, both with regard to
kernel/userland capabilities and possible bugs in initialize itself.

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæs