[FreeVMS] Kernel panic: No init found

BERTRAND Joël joel.bertrand at systella.fr
Sam 31 Juil 16:13:41 CEST 2004

	Hello,

	Now, the kernel boots (I have seen the ips section in the FAQ, but I
didn't think that I have to multiply by 20 its default value ! Bochs
runs on a K6-III/400 with 256 MB of RAM.).
I have made a disk image in a file with only one partition (/dev/hda1).
I have installed lilo with this configuration:

disk=/dev/loop1
         bios=0x80
         sectors=63
         heads=16
         cylinders=130
         partition=/dev/loop0
                 start=63

disk=/dev/hda
         bios=0x80
         sectors=63
         heads=16
         cylinders=130
         partition=/dev/hda1
                 start=63

boot=/dev/loop1
map=/mnt/boot/map
install=/mnt/boot/boot.b
read-only
prompt
timeout=50
bitmap=/mnt/boot/srm-logo.bmp

image=/mnt/boot/freevms
         label=freevms
         root=/dev/hda1
#       append="init=[vms\$common.sysexe]dcl"
#       append="mem=32M console=tty0"
#       append="console=tty0 init=/vms\$common/sysexe/dcl"

	The kernel boots, mounts the ext2 root filesystem
(VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.), but after, it panics.

Will try to start loginout.
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

	I have verified that loginout is in the right location:
schroedinger:[/mnt/vms$common/sysexe] > ls
copy  dcld    difference  export  help    init      mount   show
dcl   delete  directory   extend  import  loginout  search  type
schroedinger:[/mnt/vms$common/sysexe] >
/mnt corresponds to the /dev/hda1 for bochs.

	I have tried some different options without any result. Any idea ? You
can found the disk image bootable, used with bochs 2.1, at
http://www.systella.fr/~bertrand/FreeVMS/disk1.bz2 (10446764 MB).
The internal partition is accessible with

	losetup -o 32256 /dev/loop0 disk1
	mount /dev/loop0 /mnt

	Thanks in advance,

	JKB