[RPL/2] Downloading actual version

BERTRAND Joël joel.bertrand at systella.fr
Mer 14 Nov 09:28:02 CET 2007

Felix Becker wrote:
> Hi,

	Hello Felix,

> I am new to this list, and on the web I found traces that there should
> be pre8m- and even pre8w-versions of RPL/2 4.0.0 around somewhere. I
> only found, on
> http://www.systella.fr/~bertrand/rpl2/download/download.html, pre8 (with
> the comment "don't use") and prerelease.1, prerelease.2.

	RPL/2 was released 3 years ago. It contains a lot of bugs that have
been fixed now. I think you can not build this release with a recent gcc
compiler (due interaction between gcc-4.x g77 from gcc-3.x).
Some improvements are added to RPL/2 since pre8 too.

> So, can anyone tell me where to find the stuff?

	You can use prerelease.2 (and you should use). I consider this
prerelease stable (but it is not a final release because some minor
stuff must be added like direct, unformatted or flow file supports).
This release runs for several weeks some computations on a 112-CPU
sparc64 cluster without any trouble.

> About myself: Long time I was used to the HP48G calculator and liked it
> very much (both programming and hardware -- I turned it into a loud
> alarm-clock with LED-light and 1152 kB RAM :) ). I also heard great
> stuff about lisp, and yesterday the book "Methamagical Themes" from
> Douglas Hofstadter fell into my hand which also covers something about
> lisp. After reading it, it came into my mind the HP48-RPL (I alsways
> thought of it to mean "Reverse Polisch Language" (and not Lisp)) and
> that it is quite similar albeit with some differences. I googled a bit
> if I can find some reverse polish lisp-stuff for the computer (since I
> like it :) ), and found RPL/2 just a few hours ago. (Now compiling --
> with errors :( -- the prerelease.2.).

	What kind of errors ? Which system ? Which compiler ?

	Regards,

	JKB