[FreeVMS] Debian 8

Guido guidoj2269 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 11:56:20 CEST 2015

On 05/11/2015 07:54 AM, Roar Thronæs wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 11:33:21PM +0200, Guido de Jong wrote:
>> The short answer to whether freevms can be build on Debian 8 is: no. My
>> branch fails on make bzImage when headers from the host Linux system are
>> included. Of course such headers should never have been included in the
>> first place. The master branch fails even earlier at make dep and which is
>> something I fixed in my branch some time ago. I have not put any effort
>> into fixing the build on debian 8.
> Noticed that from when I last tried a couple of weeks ago.
>
> But is the problems the files in /usr/include?
>
> I only got problems related to that the compiler is pickyer with regards
> to redefines, typing, which is a good thing.

Yes, you get loads of warnings about redefinitions, missing return
types, unused variables, casting, etc. I've been trying to fix some of
them with each commit, but there are still many left. I would even like
to enable more warnings, because I have seen other issues (shadowing
variables for instance), but that would not help now.

The errors I ran into originate here:

     arch/x86_64/ia32/sys_ia32.c:#include <linux/shm.h>
     arch/x86_64/ia32/ipc32.c:#include <linux/shm.h>
     arch/x86_64/kernel/sys_x86_64.c:#include <linux/shm.h>
     arch/i386/kernel/sys_i386.c:#include <linux/shm.h>
     fs/binfmt_elf.c:#include <linux/shm.h>
     ipc/shm.c:#include <linux/shm.h>
     ipc/util.c:#include <linux/shm.h>

The file ./linux/include/linux/shm.h is missing form the repository
(both branches), so the version from the host system in /usr/include/ is
used in stead. This no longer works with the newer linux kernel version
that comes with debian 8.

As a quick fix, a linux 2.4 version of this file cpould be added to the
repository. One could also try to remove the #include lines and see what
happens.

What worries me is that there might be more cases where headers are
missing. I think I'm going to write a little script to find those first
(I already did something similar to find unneeded header files).

Regards,
Guido