[FreeVMS] Build system questions

Guido guidoj2269 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 21:39:37 CET 2015

On 03/13/2015 05:05 PM, Roar Thronæs wrote:
> To use the same source for many binary builds (useful in a time when
> disk was more scarce). Cross-compiling is possible, using NFS.
> Previously, it was also possible to build User Mode Linux on the same
> PC, but that support is removed.

OK, i'd say the sym linking the entire tree can be removed, but it's a
low prio task

> Because gs register usage (on at least x86_64) has changed in the
> libraries used in newer Debian. One of many signs of a need for more
> native code.

Agreed. Not an easy task though.

> Not easily, changing/improving the paths/build system may take some
> time, I suspect. There are some specially privileged images that are
> linked against the kernel routines and data structures.

Too bad, but I was already afraid of that. I still think this would
improve things though.

Thanks for the answers, I have a few more questions:

- How did you create the bootable floppy disk image?
I can not seem to be able to build grub. I created hard disk images and
I use the floppy image you provided. I was thinking about trying to
upgrade grub to a more recent version. And at the same time getting grub
to install on the HD image.

- How can I run the TEST*.COM scripts?
They do not start however I try it, both on the images you provided and
those I built myself. It would be nice to have some testcases to make
sure I did not brake anything.

Guido