[FreeVMS] FreeVMS developers

BERTRAND Joël joel.bertrand at systella.fr
Wed Jun 19 22:40:29 CEST 2013

Guido a écrit :
> Some more observations:
>
> 1) mutexes
> Mutex code exists in sys_mutex.c/h but should be available in pager (and other
> servers like device drivers) too. I guess that IPC overhead is a waste in this
> case and that the mutex code should be made available as an internal library.

	Right. But sys_mutex.c does not contain any real mutexes. Code is
missing and, if I remember, I have to add in sys/sys_mutex.c some pieces
of code to obtain active wait (à la linux spinlock due to
sys/sys_mutex_amd64.S implementation). Posix mutex has to written in
external library.

> 2) panic
> Right now the kernel is able to panic in certain circumstances, although I
> don't think an unknown IPC should be one of them. Anyway, the pager (and other
> servers) should have some similar functionality. The pager is a special case
> since if the pager panics, nothing will be able to run, so effectively the
> entire system should hang. If a device driver panics, it could probably be
> restarted.

	I agree. As kernel is in a very early stage of development, PANIC() is
only added to stop kernel with a backtrace. In a real system, some
PANIC() have to be replaced with some code to catch errors.

	Regards,

	JKB