[FreeVMS] FreeVMS developers

Renee rmctwo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 18:04:13 CEST 2013

Renee Culver is a she.

Renee

-----Original Message-----
From: FreeVMS [mailto:freevms-bounces at rayleigh.systella.fr] On Behalf Of
BERTRAND Joël
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:05 AM
To: FreeVMS mailing list
Subject: [FreeVMS] FreeVMS developers

	Hello,

	For one week, some new potential contributers have sent mail to this
mailing list. Without particular order :

- Bill Pedersen (write access to freevms.net)
- Renee (I haven't his name)
- Bruno Ducrot (write access to freevms.net)
- Frédéric Boyer
- Johann Oskarsson (with limited time)
- Bertrand Joël (write access to freevms.net)

	I can open write access on request on both freevms.net and git
repository. I will fix bugzilla and gitweb configurations as soon as
possible.

	I have uploaded last bootable image last sunday with some
modifications to boot with grub2 instead of legacy grub. Boot rootfs is now
in ext2 as
grub2 cannot boot from ODS2 (legacy grub was patched to boot from ODS2
filesystem). L4/X2 doesn't work if it is built with gcc 4.7 or 4.8. I'm
investigating. Seems to be a regression in gcc 4.7.

	If you mount freevms.img, you will find a configuration file
/grub/grub.cfg that contains :

set timeout=10

menuentry 'FreeVMS' {
   multiboot /boot/kickstart maxmem=128M kmem=8M
   module /boot/x86-kernel
   module /boot/sigma0
   module /boot/vmskernel.sys vmskernel.sys root=dqa0.0 console=opa0 \
           nodbg\$virtual_memory \
           dbg\$sys_pagefault dbg\$vms_pagefault
   module /boot/pager.sys pager.sys
   module /boot/init.exe init.exe
   # module /boot/drv/dq\$pxii.sys
   # module /boot/drv/dp\$pc99.sys
   # module /boot/drv/fs\$ext2.sys
}

Repetions are required to boot with grub2 as multiboot specifications have
changed between legacy grub and grub2. All modules can be preloaded into
memory by grub2, remapped by sigma0 and tested. In a real system, only
pager.sys and basic IO (dq$pxii.sys for IDE, dp$pc99.sys for disk
paritioning and fs$ext2.sys for root filesystem will be required).

	When you run this image under qemu, last lines are :
%RUN-S-STARTED, PAGER.SYS process started %PAGER-I-SWPADDR, setting swapper
base address at $....
%PAGER-I-SWPSIZE, setting swap size to 0 byte %RUN-S-STOPPED, PAGER.SYS
process stopped

	This output is generated by sources/freevms/vm/vm_pager.c (launched
by sources/freevms/sys/sys_pager.c as a new thread in a separated address
space). %RUN-S-STOPPED is written by return(0) from PAGER.SYS main function,
as this function ends. In real system, it has to contain an infinite loop
that manage memory.

	I have written a first algorithm here :
http://www.freevms.net/article35.html
but it doesn't interact with thread ID.

	The question is... Who wants to become official maintainer of this
pager ?

	You can find all L4Ka documentation here :
http://os.ibds.kit.edu/1956.php
http://os.ibds.kit.edu/l4ka/l4-x2-r7.pdf

	Regards,

	JKB