[FreeVMS] DCL

remi.chateauneu at gmail.com remi.chateauneu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 23:56:11 CEST 2013

Le 17.06.2013 22:42, BERTRAND Joël a écrit :
> Renee a écrit :
>> Has anyone considered DCL or is it too early in the process?
>
> To early in the process. We need to obtain a running kernel with some IO
> capabilities before trying to wrtie a shell.

Indeed. On the other hand it might be possible to write the highest
level part of a DCL interpreter:
* Commands parsing (Options etc...)
* Execution of a commands file.
... etc ...

This is not a small part of the code and could probably be tested on a
Unix-like environment. This would save time and would deliver "something
to show" : This is important for motivation.

This might be also true for tools such as CDD (Common Data Dictionary,
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/commercial/c/docs/5492p036.html ). In itself,
this is a very convenient tool which can be used with or without OpenVMS
running it. For example, the parsing of CDD input files can probably be
done independently.

Also, some part of Record Management Services (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_Management_Services ) could be
written (And used) independently of OpenVMS. At least prototyped.

Remi