[FreeVMS] VMS?

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Mon Apr 25 04:20:36 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 02:10:31PM -0400, Renee wrote:
> I'm sorry Joel but I didn't offer to help you. I would NEVER have a VMS with
> a linux kernel.

I do not know what L4 is based upon.

But if you are referring to the 0.3 version, you have studied that, have you?
I consider that kernel as much more VMS than Linux.
It is much more capable of running software written for VMS, like the
CMU telnet client and CMU IPACP with telnet server, than it is capable of
running Linux software.
The kernel still has Linux parts for hardware setup, since I do not know how to
rewrite that, and ELF support, since more recent VMS supports that.
The kernel is not anymore suited for Linux software, maybe you will be
able to start bash and run a few things in it, if you are lucky.
So it is not to be considered a Linux kernel, but more as a VMS kernel.

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæ