[FreeVMS] How to build freevms on my debian squeeze?

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Wed May 13 08:05:45 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:01:42AM +0800, Niu Kun wrote:

By the way, I am using qemu or run it on an ordinary PC with the right hardware.

> But it seems that it fails to work with envscript.

Got some build bugs in 0.3.12, will be normal again in the coming 0.3.14.

> My freevms version is 0.3.13.

Use 0.3.11.

> I also tested "myprescript" script, but I get the following error:

Not supposed to be run directly.

> make[1]: *** [nokernel/main.o] error 1

But you only pasted warnings.

> And I have error message:

No errors here, either.

> /home/niu/tool/freevms/linker/src/linker -Bstatic chrutils.o
> /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/libgcc_eh.a --end-group -o i386/edt.exe
> I wonder where edt.exe comes from.
> The linker can't be found, either.

Edt.exe is written from the linker, which you have to build first.

> Does it mean that I'll have to wait until squeeze is released?

First, use 0.3.11.
But using debian testing/unstable versus stable may have some problems.

> Or will freevms work on a gentoo system?

Maybe, but I stopped using it years ago.
It is important for users having the same environment and distribution
so results will be predictable.
With gentoo you are mainly on your own.

--
Regards,