[FreeVMS] Status Update

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Wed May 6 11:15:53 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 09:42:15AM +0200, BERTRAND Joel wrote:

> 	That being said, we need some documentations to write these API
> 	because it isn't easy to obtain any VMS books.

That is a tricky part.
Can't just scan the books and give to the developers, can we?

> 	Today and for me, i386 isn't a priority. All new workstations are 64
> bits ready and I think that it shall be easier to write a 64 bits kernel
> (more internal registers...).

Only a very small part of the kernel source is assembly, as you know.

> 	If I have understood, today, there are _two_ concurrent kernels. The
> first one is a fork of a Linux 2.4.15 kernel. The second one is written
> from scratch. FreeVMS only requires _one_ kernel and I think we have to
> merge both kernel. How ?

Good question.
I have started adding to doc/internals references to the VMS Internals
book chapters and about what is implemented and not.

But only one released kernel etc?
I don't know much about Anthony's kernel etc current state, either.
(I might want to see it soon, and the current plans.)
Anthony has not been into FreeVMS long, and he will soon get a clearer
view of what can be done now and not, and which order things must be done in.

And two concurrent userlands, maybe.
(Including some system utilities that are linked against the kernel)

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæs