[FreeVMS] Status Update

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Fri May 1 08:52:14 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 05:08:55PM -0700, anthony c wrote:
> > You are considering the current kernel and distribution so insufficent that you are going to start from scratch?
>
> I don't by any means consider the Linux kernel insufficient, I just want the FreeVMS operating system to be more than just a set of patches applied to another kernel and a custom user space application. I just think we can do better, and I aim to do just that.
>
> You're actually being more insightful than you intended to be - for FreeVMS to be taken serious as an operating system, we should actually /be/ a separate operating system, not just another Linux distribution.

It is only compiled on Linux, but it is not a Linux kernel / distribution.

It has VMS scheduling, memory management, QIO, event flags, ASTs, RMS, ODS-2,
logicals, DCL, some lock management, etc.
This is also mostly stated in FEATURES.
Linux VFS system calls like read, write is now a layer upon RMS.
Device drivers are rewritten to have a QIO interface.

> The kernel is coming along nicely, and once I complete the basic I/O drivers I will check in the code (with extensive line-by-line and external documentation).

They have a QIO interface and are structured according to?:
OpenVMS Alpha Device Support: Developer's Guide
OpenVMS Alpha Device Support: Reference

I would really like to replace the current console driver.

> Problems with my laptop's power supply and rapidly approaching finals are cutting into my developmental time, but I will check in a working kernel as soon as it's finished.

How much of the above mentioned features do you have?

Which VMS Internals books do you have?

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæs