[FreeVMS] Status update

BERTRAND Joel joel.bertrand at systella.fr
Mon Apr 27 10:24:11 CEST 2009

Roar Thronæs wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 12:49:03AM -0700, anthony c wrote:
>> My goal is to provide the FreeVMS project with a custom kernel from scratch. Seeing as how the FreeVMS userspace will be OpenVMS-compatible regardless of the kernel architecture, I am very open to suggestions regarding the kernel's design. At the moment, I aim to make it a hybrid kernel (monolithic with loadable modules while also providing a userspace interface), but if anyone can provide enough reasoning otherwise with regards to OpenVMS compatibility I will change the architectural plans for the kernel.
>
> You are considering the current kernel and distribution so insufficent that
> you are going to start from scratch?

	I have uploaded new release on freshmeat. Thanks a lot.

	I think that we have to talk about dark side of this project. You have
done some stuff, but there is no documentation to help you. With a
centralized documentation, I think we should make more development. We
need to assign tasks to contributers too. For example, I have not time
enough to try to understand your development, but I have some time to
write some subroutines or libraries. I think we can find some new
contributers if we can propose different tasks. That beeing said, I
think we have to analyze differences between both kernels to merge these
kernels if it is possible.

	Regards,

	JKB