[FreeVMS] A few questions about FreeVMS

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Lun 6 Aou 11:30:27 CEST 2007

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 10:17:24PM +0200, Rien Timmer wrote:
> Well, Gregory, Bruce *does* have a point here.
> For the mere cost of joining Encompass (or the equivalent organisation
> in your country) you can have the hobbyist license and run *real* VMS on
> your PC for no more money than that.

But it seems you will only get a not-quite-developed VAX version to run,
or you will have to depend on some closed emulator to run OpenVMS/AXP on
a (terrible) closed source OS (Windows).

> You can't *really* believe that a small group of affectionados can

Now actually just one (currently), but you will have to start somewhere.
Plus a handful who have said they were going to do something, but never did.

> reproduce the work of hundreds of engineers of over 30 years to create
> PC-VMS as an equivalent implementation of the real thing...

A lot of effort is saved because of the Internals handbooks, manuals etc.
Yes, an equivalent implementation would require more developers and
also commercial support.
But, as I said, we have to start somewhere.

> Believe me, I'm a real VMS bigot, I've worked for Digital for 30 years,
> of which 25 years as a VMS engineer, but there is no way you're going to
> implement this wonderful OS on a PC without considerable effort.

Or otherwise just let it go on its current path, it is just slowly dying.

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæs