[FreeVMS] Developing FreeVMS

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Mar 12 Déc 18:50:22 CET 2006

And in a related thread...

I've been investigating the L4 microkernel lately. (Here's a link to
Wikipedia's page on the L4 family of microkernels... http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L4_microkernel_family) Like microkernels of the
past, L4 is indented to offer only the most basic services. Users
requiring more functionality need to build on L4's base. For example,
the "L4/Linux" community built a version of the Linux kernel that
runs as an L4 process. The benefit here is that L4's "lightweight"
nature makes it easier to support hard-real-time requirements. Then
applications that need to use posix-style APIs call into the L4/Linux
"kernel".

In the Amargosa project (which is sort of like a meta-debian for
mobile devices) we're looking at using L4 so we can ensure hardware
interrupt servicing and UI are responsive. I have fond memories of
VMS from the 1980's, and would love to make a mobile phone that runs
VMS on top of L4.

Is this the type of thing anyone else here is interested in?

-Cheers
-Matt H.