[FreeVMS] Re: FreeVMS thought of the day....

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Jeu 6 Oct 13:18:12 CEST 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:48:57AM +0300, marius popa wrote:
> On 10/6/05, Roar Thronæs <roart at nvg.ntnu.no> wrote:
> >
> > That depends on the number of developers, and on the availability of IA-32e.
>
> there are celerons with 64bit enabled , or quite cheap amd semprons ~50$
> with full 64bit support
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD64

What is the AMD64 sales volume and percentage, and how many percents of
all PC-compatibles are AMD64?
What will it be in 1, 2 or 4 years?

It will be necessary to know, so I will know how long time I have got to
make 64-bit support, and make existing code 64-bit clean.

I have not yet found any AMD64 that has been phased out and thrown away.
(I am not buying a couple of new PCs that are going to be rebooted like
a yo-yo in periods (this comes in addition to a development machine)).

--
Regards,
Roar Thronæs