[FreeVMS] my first build of freevms...

Roger Tucker roger.tucker at mci.com
Ven 5 Aou 22:38:44 CEST 2005

I'm having more time to look at freeVMS, and I would like to help if I can.

For most people that might have time to work on freeVMS, time is limited and
things have to be made a simple as possible.

For example, I'm a VMS guy.  I know just enough Unix to move around and
understand the basics of what is going on, but I have never built a Linux
kernel from scratch.

So, here is my notes to get a development box ready for freeVMS:

I have an older Dell latitude laptop that I wasn't using.

It took me a few days because this was one of my first Linux installs, but I
finally got the stable Debian 3.1 release installed on it.

Most of the time was spent doing the network install of Debian, reading
about Linux, figuring out how to partition the disk, and getting the X86
x-server working.  It came with GCC 3.3.5.

Made it - now for the next step.  Download freevms-0_1_9.tar, unzip, untar,
and build to make sure I can at least get that far.

Download was easy, gunzip, untar -xvf file and a few man pages later I'm
reading the HOWTO in the linux directory.

HOWTO says to "make download-linker", not sure why it didn't come with the
freevms tar ball, but what the heck I'll try it.

Make download-linker says it can't find ncftpget.  A few google searching
later, I figure out ncftpget is some kind of interface to FTP that must be
optional.  (At least VMS comes with everything out of the box I think to my
self.)  Oh well.

So I check for a Debian package, read about how to install my own packages..

Found ncftp and ncfgp2 packages, looks like ncftp might be the correct one -
install it.

ncftpget is now available as a command.

Trying make download-linker again.  Looks like it's downloading now!  Yea.

Downloaded link-0_1_6

Downloaded binutils-2.16.tar.gz  I check and Debin came with binutils
2.15-6.  Not sure if that matters, but things seemed to have worked, so I
move on.

Next step,   make build-linker

Seems to be doing something..

Patching file VMSNOTES

More patching of files,

Then creating cache ./config.cache

Checking host system type. i686-pc-linux-gnu  (not sure what a 686 is but
what the heck)

Checking for BSD compatible install.. /usr/bin/install -c

Checking whether ln works. yes

Checking whether ln -s works. yes

Checking for gcc. gcc

Checking whether the C compiler (gcc -e stext) works. no.  (this doesn't
sound very good)

Configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

Make[2]: entering directory '/home/roger/freevms/linker/src/build'

Make[2]: *** no targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Check man gcc for -e, but no luck.

I guess, I'm stuck.

Keep reading the HOWTO but I guess I'm stuck.

Roger