[FreeVMS] [Fwd: freevms] For informations

Roar Thronæs roart at nvg.ntnu.no
Mar 3 Aou 08:53:37 CEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 06:28:54PM +0200, BERTRAND Joël wrote:
> 	I have tried EDT, and I will commit it in the CVS.

I actually based the (basic) DCL from ozone.

I have looked at ozone, and found out that the interfaces are too
incompatible to use much from ozone.

So it is close with regard to the features, but also far away with
regard to real VMS.
It ought to be considered as a separate OS, and not a clone.
(Also, it has no big books describing its internals)

> I would have worked on freevms except when I looked at it, it seemed dead,

The new mailing started in October 2001, while some of his oldest files
are from March 1997 (according to his timeline).
Maybe he was referring to the previous list, which died 2000?

> so I went on ahead with my ideas.  I've thought of taking my OS and just
> making VMS-like calls to its guts.  It has ast's, event flags, logical
> names, etc.
>
> One thing also that stopped me from doing a true VMS clone is the x86's
> only have 2 usable protection modes, user and kernel.  Real VMS uses four.
>  What did you do to get around this?

Actually, this is still at the planning stage.
You can have four modes with segmentation, so I suppose it might be possible
by using that (with 4G segment size).
Or just store the mode in the same data structure that has ipl.

> I don't know what you mean by help with the CPU.  I know x86's and Alphas
> quite well, maybe you can tell me what you need done.  As far as stuff
> like REMQTI, etc, they could be done as INT calls or something like that,
> is that what you're getting at?

Mainly implement PAL properly (as described in VARM/AARM).

> You can take my EDT if you want (it runs under my os, linux and real vms).
>  I noticed it at the bottom of your list.  It's fairly true to the
> original.
>
> Mike

Is he subscribed here?

--